Tuesday, December 28, 2010

christmas craft with nana

Fast and easy blogging doesn't really happen when you find out you are out of photo storage and need to buy more space.
But I'm back and running now.

I do have to say that the following pictures just aren't as they should be.
This was the first year pretty much EVER that the Michigan clan couldn't join us.
Prayers are being answered and Sydney continues to do so well with her treatments for leukemia, but traveling to Kansas this year was not an option for them.  We missed them terribly.
It just wasn't the same this year.

Something that WAS the same was that Nana always has a craft or two planned for the kids.
Sometimes the kids listen well to her, and the craft goes well.
And sometimes they don't.
But this one went pretty good.
It was such a great craft that even the big guys joined in for a bit (not sure where my camera was then).
You need lots of fabric scraps. We had square ones, but I bet they wouldn't have to be squares. 
But definitely probably this size.
You also need the Styrofoam balls and some poking tools.
You can see our random selection of tools.
Some worked better than others, but they all got the job done. I think I liked the wooden chop-stick type tool the best.

It's so easy that Mason could do it all by himself.
The poking part at least.
 You just lay your fabric on the ball and poke the edges in.  You gotta poke down pretty far to get it to stay put as you go.
Then lay the next piece right by it and poke down into the same crease that you poked the first one into.
Keep going around your ball until all your space is filled in with fabric.  You may have to cut the final piece down small enough to fill the space you have left.

Then poke a wire ornament hanger in them and you have ball ornaments.
The big one is the example that Nana had made years ago.  Hers looks really nice and neat.



But I think the kids' looks great too!

Obviously you probably aren't doing ornament crafts anymore, but don't forget to bookmark this for next year!

No comments: