This is only our 2nd year of gardening...but we love it! Our favorite are the tomatoes.
But they are so hard to keep up with. I had TONS and was trying to figure out what to do with them. Last year I froze some and used them in chili and soup. This year I really wanted to try canning. I know nothing about it and knew I needed some help, at least my first time.
Dave's Aunt Barb had tons of tomatoes too, and in talking, we decided to can them together. So she could teach me how. So a week ago, I took all my tomatoes to her house.
First we pitted them, and cut all the bad spots. out.
Then took the skin off.
I diced them, cooked them and then poured them into the hot jars.
Aunt Barb added the salt and put on the seals and lids.
I got 3 quarts and 1 pint. Man, with all the tomatoes we had, it seems like you'd get more than that. But regardless, these will be VERY yummy when it's time for chili and soup.
The next day, I headed home and did some more canning...this time I tried SALSA! This too, was a first. I got some great tips and a great recipe from my friend Alyssa.
Everything here is from the garden too! I just had to add some extra onion from the store.
I ended up with 7 pints of salsa!!
I think I'll try to can some more in the next few weeks, when I have enough tomatoes again. It's fun having jars of stuff that I know I did on my own.
Thanks for your help Aunt Barb...I learned lots...and you were a GREAT partner to work with!
No comments:
Post a Comment