There is one thing you must know about Dave and I.
And one thing that I am SOOO glad we have in common.
We are concession stand and food booth JUNKIES.
Oh my goodness.
Put us at any event with lines and lines of food booths to choose from...including some of our favorites like, roasted corn, those fried swirly potato things (with cheese preferably), funnel cakes, cherry limeades, fried okra (Dave's favorite), homemade ice cream, roasted pecans.
I could go on.
Oh and the money, you say?
Food at those places is really expensive you say?
Hmmm?? We don't notice - we are too busy feeding our faces.
Just kidding. Kind of.
We know it's expensive.
So what do we do about it?
Instead of riding 5 rides each - the kids just rode 3 rides each.
So mom and dad could have more food.
Because we are super cool parents like that.
And so far, they don't realize they are getting the raw end of the deal.
Maybe one of these days we'll just add a "concession stand food" category to our budget.
And make cuts in other places.
That would be delightful.
I love this fair.
It has an awesome carnival.
Most of the same exact stuff that was there when I was little.
Like the squirrel cages above (not sure why, but we always called them that).
If you have a good partner, you can get that cage spinning like crazy as it moves all around.
Or if you have a bad partner (a mean dad or boyfriend) who takes control of the flipping gear thingy, and locks it upside down the whole time, you might get sick.
Or lose all the things in your pockets.
Like the squirrel cages above (not sure why, but we always called them that).
If you have a good partner, you can get that cage spinning like crazy as it moves all around.
Or if you have a bad partner (a mean dad or boyfriend) who takes control of the flipping gear thingy, and locks it upside down the whole time, you might get sick.
Or lose all the things in your pockets.
This Gator Roller coaster has been there forever too.
I remember riding this with my sister like it was yesterday.
A storm came through before we started riding rides.
Lots of the booths were under shelter, so we were able to just waste some time inside, HOPING the storm would pass and the kids could still ride rides.
And it did.
Lightning, LOUD thunder and tons of rain.
Over in maybe 15-20 minutes.
All 4 of us rode the Ferris wheel.
I thought it would be so fun.
But I realized when I got up there, it wasn't so fun.
Not like I remember it.
Dave played a game - it was "shoot till you win"
So we knew he'd end up with something.
He won Taylor one of the purple monkeys on side wall at the very left.
We were about to buy more tokens as we predicted a meltdown from Mason because he didn't have one.
But to our surprise, he picked up the little corks that were shot out of the gun (you can see some on the ground in the picture) and he was just as happy.
Love this fair!
I have so many memories of watching the Figure 8 Race, the Demolition Derby, the Rodeo, meeting up with friends, all the rides.
I think we'll make this an annual tradition.
At least for the food anyway.













2 comments:
On our first date to the state fair, we rode those cages and we got stuck up-side-down and I almost threw up!! Oh, and I remember riding the ferris wheel when Jill and Josh were just 2 & 4. I remembered it as such fun but I was terrified!! Didn't feel safe at all with them beside me!
Gosh your kids are just so dang cute in those pictures! We love carnival food too although we don't get to go to many of them. Looks like you had a grand time!
Post a Comment