Sunday, February 6, 2011

will you feel sorry for me so I can stop?

I think I mentioned awhile back that we were looking forward to Premier's next leadership trip to San Diego in April.  Well, January was the end of the qualification period for that trip. And guess what?? I earned both mine and Dave's trip for free!!! 

Look where we get to stay...
 The Manchester Grand Hyatt - with ocean-side view!

And one of the nights we get to eat dinner on the deck of the USS Midway...

But guess what???
We're not going.  Total bummer.

Although I say that it's FREE - we do have to get ourselves there.  And we will spend some money once we get there.  Dave thinks it would be no fun to go and not do anything extra because we are limiting ourselves.  I think it would be fun to just BE there - especially at THAT hotel!  And I am trying so very hard to respect him on this issue and hear him when he is saying "I really don't think it's a good idea this time."  He's being so sweet about it, he really does wish we could go, and he really does think it totally stinks that we aren't. And really, if I was being completely honest - I'd probably have to say that deep inside I know it's not a good idea also.  So although I do feel sorry for myself (and us), I am also thankful that I have a wise husband that is good at some of these decisions when I am not. So I cancelled our spots back in November.

We decided a few months ago that the other big things possibly coming our way this spring - new car (although that's kind of a done deal already and turned out WAY different than we had expected!) and hopefully a new house that will involved some big projects- we felt like we should hold off on any big trips.   We decided it was money that should go towards one of these other big things instead.

So I'm bummed.  And thought maybe I would tell you all so you could feel sorry for me. :-)
I secretly looked up plane tickets and they are only $242 each right now!!!  So although I've done all the calculating in my head and know that we could get there and back for $700-800 - I think I'll just keep the info to myself and just dream of next years trip instead.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I definitely feel for you, but that trip will be over in just a short week or two. Sure you and Dave will share some awesome memories from that trip, but just think of ALL the awesome memories you and dave will share with the KIDS if you guys get your new house. Those will last a lifetime. I know it is easier for me to say that because I am not in your shoes, but hopefully this piece of advice helps. Good luck to you on selling your house;0)

Kendall Smith said...

Oh you poor thing. I feel horrible for you. How do you live with that man??? :-) (is that better?)

Rachel said...

I feel bad too. But I came up with a solution. I'd hate for you to just waste all the hard work of getting the vacation for free. So, if it'd make you feel better, Matt and I are more than willing to go in your place. Just think about it. We'd send you daily pictures. I know it's tempting.

laura mcpherson said...

Oh my goodness...I DO feel sorry for you! It stinks to have to be a mature grown-up sometimes. BUT just keep thinking about that new home you'll have soon. The hard sacrifices are worth it :) AND I'm sure you'll win another trip, another year, when it will be easier for you to go.