I know that I use my blog to mostly share our pictures and stories and family memories. Stuff that's not all that meaningful to anyone else but us and possibly our extended family. But I can't help but notice how many people beyond that come here daily. And every so often I get word from someone who says "I've been following your blog for a long time...". It's always so humbling, and I seriously wonder why anyone actually enjoys this blog and the stories and pictures on it, other than the grandmas and grandpas and aunts (and maybe uncles) who read it. But the point is, I don't have to know why. I don't have to do things to try to get people to read. I don't have to post things for any other reason other than I want to. I don't have to post a certain number of times a week, or worry about losing readers if I don't. I have never used this blog as an outlet to be completely transparent and open. Not to be confused with trying to hide certain things either. It was just never my intent with my blog to journal my inner most thoughts and feelings and daily happenings. But that doesn't mean that you don't get that every once in a while. It makes no sense to force anything. And if I'm going to go beyond my usual pictures and stories of our ordinary life, and get more real and vulnerable - I want it to be with purpose and God-inspired. With all of that said, I realize that God has given me a tool that speaks to others. Normally it just speaks to them in a very casual, and non-emotional, "here's the latest of what our kiddos have been up to" kind of way, but I never want to forget that there are people reading my words here whom I may never get to speak to in person. There are people reading these words who may not know Jesus in a real and personal way. And for that reason, when I feel that the Lord is nudging me to share more than just the milestones and birthdays and cute kid pictures, I will. And I hope that's okay with you. And I'm okay with that no matter the thoughts or opinions of others. Because a friend told me once, "it's your blog, you get to do whatever you want on your blog."
So with all that said...you can probably guess that this post isn't of the usual. I've got something way better than that.
Last July, at Premier Design's National Convention, I was blessed to get to hear Nick Vujicic speak. I had never heard of him before, even though he is nationally recognized, but I will never forget the message of hope he brought that day.
This video is being shared on Facebook lately, and I wanted to share it with you. It's 10 minutes long, I SO hope you'll watch the whole thing. You can't stop early or you'll miss some of the most powerful parts. Nick was born with no arms and no legs, quite possibly dealt one of the worst hand of cards in life that anyone could possibly be dealt. And yet he reminds us all that the most crucial choice we can make in our lives, is to understand by faith that "our Heavenly Father owns all the chips", and that all things comes together for the good for those that love Him.
Our pastor did a sermon this past Sunday on Heaven. It was a powerful message that left me thinking about the hope of Heaven a lot. It's painful to think about those who truly believe this world and the hand they've been dealt is all that there is. How do you find purpose and meaning in a world that offers no hope?
My life is full of so many things that are perishable, defiled and fading away. Nothing I have but the faith and hope in my Savior will survive here. Even when I choose not to call it what it is, and repent of it, I experience greed, jealousy, disobedience, selfishness and so much more on a daily basis. I'm ugly. Some days more uglier than others. It's easier to be caddy, and moody with my husband when I want him to know how tough my day was, than it is to be self-less and serve him, expecting nothing in return. I neglect others in my life and ways that I can serve them. My intentions are not always what they should be. And I try to make it appear like I always have it together. I am insecure about friendships at times. I am selfish with my time. Do you want me to continue? We worry about government and guns, and our children's safety, even when we send them to school. We worry about money and a financial future. We hear about 4 new cancer diagnosis in one day. And then realize the reality that many many more will follow that in the days, months and years to come, wondering if my husband or one of my babies will be one of them.
Even at the age of 31, I am reminded at times that even my body is perishable and fading away. Even something as simple (compared to other things) as migraines remind me that I need the power of God to simply make it through the day sometimes.
We are fallen. This world is fallen. And our hope can be in NOTHING else but the saving blood that was shed for us on the cross.
We can count on everything in this world being taken from us. Sometimes even our most prized and loved possessions - our spouses, or our children. But our hope cannot be taken from us, no matter what.
I was reading in 1st Peter this week and was reminded of this great hope. Even when everything around us is perishable, defiled and fading away, we are promised that an inheritance awaits us.
Even when our bodies fail, when we hear that diagnosis for the first time, lose that job, don't know how the bills will be paid, are hurt by loved ones, wonder if we're good enough, or watch our children experience pain, 1st Peter reminds us that there is a purpose to our trials. Our faith will be proven genuine and when we are able to produce good fruit in hard times, all the glory goes to God.
What a great challenge it is to be like Nick. A real-life hero. To praise God for the trials in our lives, and the hand we are dealt. While these trials remind us that we are weak and fading, they also remind us of the inheritance that is waiting for us.
It's a gift that can't be taken from you. I hope you've received it, and that your mansion awaits.
I was reading in 1st Peter this week and was reminded of this great hope. Even when everything around us is perishable, defiled and fading away, we are promised that an inheritance awaits us.
Even when our bodies fail, when we hear that diagnosis for the first time, lose that job, don't know how the bills will be paid, are hurt by loved ones, wonder if we're good enough, or watch our children experience pain, 1st Peter reminds us that there is a purpose to our trials. Our faith will be proven genuine and when we are able to produce good fruit in hard times, all the glory goes to God.
What a great challenge it is to be like Nick. A real-life hero. To praise God for the trials in our lives, and the hand we are dealt. While these trials remind us that we are weak and fading, they also remind us of the inheritance that is waiting for us.
It's a gift that can't be taken from you. I hope you've received it, and that your mansion awaits.
6 comments:
amen, amanda!
thanks for sharing your heart...
I am a blog "stalker" from the Macs..I have found many blogs from them that have me coming back often. The common factor seems to be all of your faith..we struggled with that and still do..my husband was just baptized last year..so thank you for sharing your blog, keeping in real for those of us who only know you through your blog..Kim
WOW! I haven't even watched the video yet (but I will) but your words spoke right to my heart today!
God does use you, Amanda because I am struggling this week with some of the things you talked about and I know he is bringing you to me to hear those words to know that I have to stop worrying because he has it under control!
Bless you and your family!
I saw that video on FB and was so amazed by his faith and hope! It would be so easy to despair to be in his place. What an encouragement to keep our eyes fixed on Jesus and not on our circumstances! Seek His will for us day by day.
He is so amazing and inspirational...love him. I'm thrilled that he and his wife are expecting a baby boy, such joy. I loved this post by you and even though I only know you through your blog (found you through the Macs), I love your writings, your faith, seeing the funny and cute things your kids do and my son thinks your hubby's 'Cuda is pretty cool too...I appreciate what you share. God bless...off to find the joy in the day!
Post a Comment