Sunday, May 5, 2013

our first garage sale

I'm still here.
  The last few weeks have been a little bit crazy and I'm afraid it's going to stay that way for awhile, as we prepare for some big trips this summer.
 
Two weekends ago, the 5 of us were in 3 different states. I think I'll do a post with some pictures on that soon.  I came home exhausted (from late nights up with friends), and had no time to recover before having to get our first ever garage sale ready.  We had already paid for a newspaper ad to be included in the listings for our city-wide sales, so I couldn't back out.
even when it turned winter on May 3.
 
And here I was thinking that doing our sale in May we'd have great weather and we wouldn't have to deal with the heat of the summer.  We got cold, wind, sleet, snow and rain instead.
Honestly - if you don't live in Kansas, you may find it interesting (or completely insane) that we experienced all 4 seasons in one week.  The beginning of the week was warm - shorts, tanks, flip flops, and we turned the AC on for the first time.  Then the temps came down to normal spring temps.
Then in one day's time, we went from having the AC on in the first half of they day, to needing our heater on later in the day.  And then the sleet and snow came.
Just in time for our garage sale.
I worried that all of the hard work would be a waste.
 
 
Our kids love going to garage sales with Nana, so they were SOOOO excited that we were having our own.  And even more excited that we were doing it for extra Disney World money.
They decided they wanted to sale lemonade and goodies also, for some spending money for themselves.
 
 
 Friday actually ended up being pretty nice, considering we just had snow the day before.  The sun came out and it warmed just a tad (but still cold enough to need my winter coat). My chili lunch tasted so yummy, but seriously...chili weather should not be happening during garage sale season.
 

 
 

The kids had a blast having some friends over both days while their mommy helped with the sale.   I had to stay outside most of the time.  It was hard not to hyperventilate when I came in to see Geotrax spread out over the entire living room and Legos that I had spent hours organizing, all mixed together. Not to mention all the other stuff that had been strung out, dumped, or played with and left.  Well honestly, I was quite impressed with their Geotrax set.  Mason has loved those so much, and it's even better when an older friend comes and helps build super cool tracks.
But the Lego mess still has me in distress.
 
 

 
But then Saturday morning came.  It was freezing again.  As I set up at 6:30am, I just knew it was such a waste and no one was going to be out. 
But I was wrong.  We were busy all morning.  I was in complete shock at the number of people who were still hitting the sales.
 
The lemonade turned to hot cocoa.  And our kid helpers ended up abandoning the table and making the adults collect money for them. It was just too cold.  I think it took me a half a day to warm up when it was all over with.



 
But in the end, I'm thinking we had just as good of a sale as we would have with good weather. From what I hear anyway.  My hubby, who thought it was way too much work to only make a few hundred dollars, was quite impressed with what we brought in. I guess that's what happens when you finally start letting go of all those baby/kid clothes and baby gear.  The entire closet underneath our basement stairs was full of baby stuff - highchairs, walkers, push toys, exersaucer, bouncer and more.  And now it's all gone.  (There are definitely some mixed emotions involved)
 We are so thankful for the turnout and our extra money for Disney.  But it sure was exhausting.
 


post signature

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I'm glad you had a successful sale. I know the feeling of starting to get rid of all the baby stuff. I cleaned out the baby's closet last week (she's 6 months) and was planning on getting rid of all the clothes as she outgrows them, but some stuff I couldn't part with. So, back to the attic it goes for now.