The day before Christmas Eve it happened. That mommy meltdown that I try so hard to avoid every year. But it seems inevitable. There are always such high expectations. Plus the need for a clean house, work to be wrapped up, ,cookies to be baked, other snacks and treats to be made, presents to be wrapped, food to be prepped for Christmas Day since we are gone all day Christmas Eve, and either trying to fit in all the extra stuff we didn't have time for, or just deciding to give it up. You know, like realizing how far behind we fell in our advent readings. Not something I feel very proud to have to give up and move on.
Every year, no matter how hard I try to slow down, prepare my heart and keep my family focused on Jesus, we fail. Some years we fail worse than others. But more times than not, the picture of Christmas in my head...is never what actually takes place.
And you know what. I'm slowly learning, that it's okay.
I remember running across these words from Ann Voskamp last year at the perfect time, and sure enough she posted them at the perfect time again this year...
"It's *okay* that you didn't get it all done.
And that it's messy
& far from perfect.
He came to do it all...so you don't have to
stress at all.
The point of Christmas is you can *rest in His
perfection*--- because He embraces you in your *imperfection.*
I’m thinking of the whole bright sky declaring the glory of God, pouring
forth speech:
“Glory to God in the highest, And on earth, peace among
men with whom He is pleased” (Lk. 2:14).
His glory in the highest always runs down to meet us at our lowest."
[from the post: "What Saves Every [Chaotic, Messy, Disappointing]
Christmas: How to Simply Have the Best Christmas, Even Now, Especially
Now"
Rest in His perfection.
I don't have to make Christmas perfect.
I don't have to try to make our days perfect.
I don't have to try to raise perfect kids.
And I'm far from the perfect wife and friend.
This Christmas, when I look at the mess and imperfection that filled several of our last days. And even how our own Christmas is not looking like it's supossed to. It's like God is just whispering to me "It's ok. When you try too hard, when everything falls into place like YOU desire...you forget about me. It becomes too much about you. I've already done all there is to do. So rest in MY perfection while I love you through your imperfection. Celebrate what's already been done. And that is all."
That is all.
All Christmas needs to be about is what's already been done.
Our God coming down to be with us.
To be with us and to make a way for us to be with Him.
Despite our selfishness, our failures, our temper-tantrums. Despite our messiness.
It's all already been done.
Starting in a manger and ending on a cross.
"His glory in the highest always runs down to meet us at our lowest"
So breathe a little slower...rest....give up the expectations that will more than likely never be met.
And celebrate. We don't have to do a thing.
It's already done.
Merry Christmas!


No comments:
Post a Comment