Tuesday, May 19, 2015

a letter to my child's teacher

Dear Sweet Teacher,

On this last day of school, before we head our separate ways for the summer, I need you to know something.

You see, I know first hand, having been a teacher myself, how hard and taxing and sacrificing your job is. While your classroom may be filled with beautiful children, I know not every day is beautiful. I know that there are countless hours you gave, that no one knows about but you. I know on this last day of school (if not weeks ago) you are so ready for a break.  To renew your minds and get your energy back.  I know that you don't want to step foot in your classroom again until August.

But I also know that the kids you say goodbye to each year don't leave your hearts. I know that there's a part of you that wonders if you did enough, if you said the right things, if you impacted them as you wanted to. You planted a little part of yourselves in them and you may or may not ever get to see what they bloom to be.  And if you do have the pleasure of seeing them as they mature through the years, you'll never give yourself credit for anything of it.  But you should.

Please forgive me for not really being able to express what you mean to our family.  I'm learning that it's hard to describe the feeling and express gratitude through words.  And even simple teacher appreciation gifts, end of the year gifts (that were forgotten!), and handwritten notes don't even come close to what is truly felt in my heart for you.  It's hard to communicate what makes you so wonderful because sometimes it's reasons that are only felt in my heart. I feel it because I see that my child feels it.

It's a feeling kind of like "home".  It's that intense warmth that comes from absolute trust. Because if my child can't be with me all day long, I want and need to hand them over to someone who genuinely wants to do the next best job.  You welcomed them with open arms on the first day, and you had almost just as much impact on their lives in the last 9 months as their father and I have had.  Thank you for treasuring that time.  And thank you for showing them that there are other adults in the world besides mom and dad and relatives who love them, whom they can trust, and who see the good in them and care about what their journey ahead looks like.

Thank you for realizing from time to time that greater than their need for any academic pursuit is their need to be loved, cherished, and protected. Thank you for giving of yourself so selflessly. Thank you for praying for them, and caring about the matters of their heart. 

I realize that getting even just one teacher like you in an entire lifetime is a treasure. So when we get some of you back to back to back...we consider it an immeasurable blessing. Please know how much you mean to our family and how much our child loves you.  We know this...because we just spent 9 months watching them run out the door with confidence and hope because it was you who they would be spending the day with.

Love,
a grateful mama




post signature

No comments: