Monday, June 27, 2011

bits and pieces of our summer

It's been such a great summer so far. The heat is definitely here.
We have lots of triple digits ahead of us.
We had visitors all weekend due to the heat.
Dave's parents' air conditioner went out so they've been staying at our house, waiting on their replacement.
It's been nice to have some extra hands and energy around here to spread between the kiddos and the dishes.

Here's a quick, and kind of random, catch up on our summer.

Our garden is looking TONS better than last year.
Our first pick was a banana pepper.  Which didn't make it past Taylor's mouth - they are a favorite of hers. We planted them by her request.
 The kids' pots of zinnias are growing like crazy!
It's been routine every day to go out and check for blooms (which we now have lots of!)
 Despite the heat, we've been outside A LOT.  Pretty much every evening.
It's hard to keep these kids inside.
 Sometimes we feel like we live next door to the Selenski's in "Honey I Shrunk the Kids".
You know, they'd always look over the fence to see some really strange things going on at their neighbor's house.
Same with us.
 But really, there has been lots of playing with neighbor friends.  Regardless of what kind of exterminating they are doing.
Sometimes our pool, sometimes theirs.
 And lots of grilling.
And rib smoking (thanks to the awesome smokin skills of my hubby! Ribs are his specialty)
 We also had our first "date night" with each kid separately.
Daddy and Taylor headed out to eat, a movie and ice cream. She was so excited to get dressed up with Daddy.
While Mommy and Mason headed to the park, pulled over to watch a football game from the car, out to eat, bike riding and a paddle boat ride. (man, my date required a lot more energy, and I was BEAT by the time it was over).
The funniest thing is that we couldn't get them to pick different restaurants. Thanks to my earlier suggestion of Huddle House (b/c I really needed a ham and cheese omelet), they couldn't get their minds off it.
So we had to go in shifts.  Dave called to tell me when he and Taylor were leaving so that Mason and I could go there next.

Our golf ball collection is up into the hundreds, thanks to the frequent 4-wheeler rides to the fields behind the golf course. 

A few days ago, Taylor decided she'd try to count them all.
She started over about 7 times before she finally gave up.
 We have spent lots and lots and lots of time on the deck.
In the mornings. For lunch. And definitely the evenings.
Mornings are by far my favorite.  But I'm sure not even those will be enjoyable much longer.
We enjoyed a great evening with family for Father's Day.
To be remembered by Papa "slipping" into the pool.


We have a few small outdoor projects we're working on.
One that I'll show you soon, another that I'm hoping we can start soon.

Other than that, it's time to move inside - we've got 3 bedrooms to redo!
Our room, the kids' room that they will be sharing, and the nursery.

But definitely some more summer to enjoy too!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

such a sweet post. Love the reference to Honey I Shrunk the kids! Try to stay cool!

Julie said...

Looks like so much fun!! I'm a little jealous your banana peppers grew. They are a favorite of mine, but they died early on (along with the green peppers . . . I do have lots of jalapenos!). Can't wait to see what you do with all the bedrooms. :)

Amy Geiser said...

Amanda, you are a great blogger! Your pictures are great, and you do a great job capturing the stories behind them. I'm trying to do a blurb (or some kind of) book and you give me great ideas for what to put in them. Also, I LOVE the date night idea! Our daughter is 2 1/2 and our son is 1, so maybe a little young, but definitely something to try later. Thanks for sharing your life!