Wednesday, July 20, 2011

a new look for my bench

We've had this bench since we've lived at this house - so maybe 5 years.
We bought it for the front porch - but moved it after awhile, didn't really like it there anymore.
It's since been on the deck, just up against the house.  Serving no purpose and really not looking too great these days.
Dave got sick of it on the deck and moved it out by the sandbox.  Good idea on his part.
It sparked some creativity on my part!

We've wanted to give this little corner of our backyard a nice look - but haven't really gotten around to doing much. 

But I knew this bench would look way better with some color.


And I even had a little helper while big sister was having her first REAL sleepover with her cousin!

 I've been drawn to turquoise lately, but this color didn't exactly come back to me as I had planned.
I guess I was going for a more true turquoise and not aqua (there's a difference in my mind at least)  That's what the paint card I gave to the guy was anyway.  But I didn't say anything and just took it home hoping it would grow on me.

And it did.  I love how it turned out!



 
So now, help me out.  I need something else back there.  More color. Something fun!  I thought about hanging some things in the tree - mason jars, fun lights, painted bottles. But I'm not sure the Kansas wind would be very nice to my cute details.  I need to be realistic. So maybe I should stick with something on the fence or on the ground.  Should I paint a pot or two?  Should I hang a big painted star back there?  Should we paint the bird bath? A colorful bunting along the fence?

8 comments:

A Family of Love said...

The first thing that came to my mind was a color bunting along the fence.

The Sieberts said...

some large painted pots would be cute!!!

Kendall Smith said...

What about your chalkboard idea on the opposite side of that bench on the fence?? Paint the frame a bright red or yellow or something??? I LOVE the bench!!!!

Anonymous said...

another bench in an orange color?

Anonymous said...

You could paint the sandbox boards orange and white stripes.

Rich and Carolyn Dewey said...

Since it seems to be a play area, I'd paint the sandbox, although that could be more yearly maintenance. Would love to see colorful, painted, hand prints of the kids on the fence, noting the year. Add prints every year, so it would definitely grow. If you don't think paint would last on fence, what about putting hand prints on pots? I received a pot like that for Mother's Day one year. Love it! I wouldn't leave pots out in winter. Bench is great!

Amy said...

I love all these ideas! My first thoughts were: * a colorful bunting (I'm making one for outside right now out of old vinyl tablecloths. Walmart has really colorful ones on clearance for $3) * a chalkboard to hang on the fence * paint the sandbox * paint the flowerpots
* you could also hang a colorful ladder so your kids could just climb right over the fence to Joel and Kendall's. :)

Can't wait to see what you end up doing! So much potential!!

MOM said...

Combine all these ideas. That would really stick out and cheer you up on gloomy days!