Friday, March 30, 2012

the moments of our week

It's been a crazy around here lately.  Actually pretty much a rollercoaster.  A rollercoaster of events, a rollercoaster of emotions and attitudes.
Here's a recap, along with a random selection of pictures, from both my phone and my camera. 
We had moments that were tiring...like Dave working Saturday and Sunday for the first time ever. Although it was because of being home for most of the week before due to rain, it still just messed with both of us mentally.
We had moments that we cried...like when Mason was so sad and shy at Tae-kwon-do and made this mama feel so bad for him.  And like when God showed his awesome power and goodness to us in an UNBELIEVABLE way!!
We had moments that were infuriating...like when Mason refused to participate in any way in the Tae Kwon Do class he had been counting down the days for.  (not participating wasn't the infuriating part).  But his behavior went downhill very fast and very STRONG, in front of a room full of other parents and kids.  It was very humbling. And Dave and I were on different pages as to what to do about it.  Dave's personality says to pick him up and walk out.  My personality says to keep trying, surely we'll get somewhere by the time the class is over. I definitely should have listened to my hubby on that one.  It would have saved a lot of stress and embarrassment. We are now working on simple respect issues.  Like looking at someone when they speak to you, and shaking their hand and responding to questions asked, and obeying when you are told where to stand.  AND, we are also learning that when you are promised ice cream IF you participate, you do not still get the ice cream after an hour of refusal and bad attitude.  I am certain that we as parents messed up terrible somewhere in that hour long class.  But we were stumped.  Not sure how to handle him.  There's such a thin line sometimes between crushing their spirit and disciplining inappropriate behavior.  The last thing we wanted him to do was be confused and think that he was in trouble for being shy and not wanting to do Tae Kwon Do.
We had moments of relief....as we finished our taxes earlier than EVER.  We always get them to our accountant on April 13 or 14.  Meaning he files for an extension and takes care of them in October.  But this year they are completely DONE!  WAHOOOO!

We had moments of fear....as I left my jewelry show last night in the middle of a humongo thunder and lightning storm.  And hail.  I almost wrecked twice because every underpass had cars pulling over to have shelter from the hail, but they were half way still out on the interstate, make it super super super dangerous.  I pulled over (in much smarter, safer spots) 3 times, and each time I thought it was safe and headed back out, the hail pounded my car again.
We had moments of joy and entertainment....as our baby boy turned 4 months old and is all of a sudden rolling over and over again all the time! 
We had moments of frustration...as our baby boy rolled himself to his tummy 4 or 5 times in the night and screamed until we rolled him back.
We had moments that tested our faith...asking the Lord to either open or close the doors on an opportunity Dave has been given.  An opportunity that required us to say YES, not knowing how it would all happen, but trusting that if it is His will, the doors will all be opened and He will provide.
We had moments of chaos...as my 12:30pm flight to Cincinnati to see my sister was cancelled, and I was told I'd now fly out tonight at 5:30, arriving in Dayton at midnight.  This meant all the little details I had taken care of as far as who was taking Taylor to preschool, who was watching Mason, who was taking me to the airport, etc....were cancelled.  And now I have to pray my heart out that my sweet little travel buddy will be good to me on the plane.  The evening hours aren't usually his best hours of the day, and they are the hours in which he sleeps the least. 

We had moments of FUN.... when we stuck in a spontaneous picnic at the park with friends and got to help a friend celebrate turning 5!

It was a crazy week.  I'm sure I'm forgetting something. 
But I'm off to see my sister and baby Alice this evening - the craziness surely will not continue.

2 comments:

The Sieberts said...

have fun! forget about your hard week and enjoy that sweet little niece of yours!

Sarah said...

parenting is definitely a roller coaster. hang in there!!!

Sarah @ This Farm Family's Life