Taking pictures of our big events and fun outings and experiences is one thing.
But picking up the camera and shooting away while my kids are in their own little world is another.
Because it's time's like this that I realize I'm capturing the little stuff I never want to forget.
Like eyelashes and tongues.
I don't ever want to forget this way he sticks his tongue out when he's working or concentrating really hard. He does it when he's nervous too.
I wanted to soak up the way he can sit so peacefully, when much of his day is anything but that.
As I snapped away I thought about how this little guy has always been so good at coloring. From very young we were blown away at how carefully and detailed he colored things. Normally, I would say girls take on this trait more often, but man, this boy can do some serious coloring.
And he paints the same way. So slowly and carefully. He wants it to be just perfect.
He wants to use as many colors as he can.

Oh, and those eyelashes.
Every time I snapped a picture and looked down at my screen, those eyelashes were the first thing I saw. I thought about getting a close up - but there was no way I was going to ruin this moment, and I know he'd never let me. I'll have to catch him while he's sleeping if I want to accomplish that one.
Since birth, we've heard about these eyelashes. Everyone from the cashier at Wal-Mart to the waitress at the restaurant, from blog readers to all those who see him often, everyone mentions his eyelashes.
They also all mention that he's a mini-version of Dave. Every where we go.
They also all mention that he's a mini-version of Dave. Every where we go.
Even their eyes are the same. The color, the lashes, the works.
I almost deleted this next picture. I wasn't sure what I was focusing on.
But then I saw those little lips. Oh goodness, melt my heart.
But then I saw those little lips. Oh goodness, melt my heart.
He's working so very hard on his rainbow painted dinosaur.
And then he noticed me. And it was all over.

But that's okay. Little did he know I had already captured all that I wanted.
Little things about him that make him HIM. Little things that I don't ever ever want to forget.
And now I won't, because they are forever frozen in these pictures.
Oh sweet boy. As complicated as you can seem sometimes, these few minutes watching you paint and create and concentrate and work diligently, were pure, simple, and perfect.






2 comments:
I love this post because as a mom I feel every word you wrote so often. Made my heart melt to read your words and know that I feel that way about my kiddos too. Thank you for reminding me to slow down and appreciate them more!
Simply said, I'm loving this!
Post a Comment