Friday, March 22, 2013

distractions, idols and a gift

Yesterday, I was reminded once again of a gift that's been placed in my hands.  It's the most valuable gift of anything else I've ever been given, and yet I seem to ignore it's value and the undeniable difference it can make in my life.
 
 devotion from Abundant Life by Nancy Guthrie

The struggle is close way to close to home for comfort. It's a struggle of simple distraction and busyness --  TV, internet, iPhones, Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest. It's a battle for the need to feel connected - but wanting to be connected to the wrong things.  It's a struggle of setting out to do one thing, and ending up doing 15 other things. It's a struggle of allowing seemingly "good" things to have a negative impact in my life.  It's a struggle of priorities and idols.
See, because as humbling as it is to say, anything that I give more of my time and thoughts to than I do my relationship with Christ- is an idol in my life.
They aren't the idols we typically think of, but they are things we turn to many times, before turning to God.
I'll admit, I've done it.  I've sat down to have my quiet time with the Lord, my phone setting next to me. I say to myself "I'll just check my email really quick before I start" But then I also respond to a text, make a few additions to the grocery list because they just popped in my head,  jump over to Facebook, catch up Instagram.
All while my Bible sits on my lap.
These other things can be consuming.  And I forget that God has the desire to consume completely himself.
Eventually I open my Bible and get my "quiet time" in.  But I didn't give him the best of me.
I gave him my leftover time.
 
And then I complain...I can't get it all done.  I have way too much on my plate.
I get frazzled and stressed, I get short with my family, and negative in my thoughts and words.
But sitting right there in front of me, are the things that matter the most, the ones that matter forever - right there in the pages of God's Holy Word.
The answer to everything.  The way to do life.  And the message of God's love for me, and the grace I'm given every single day when I get frazzled and stressed, and short with my family
 
1 Corinthians 10:23 has been a huge verse for me over the last few months.
“I have the right to do anything,” you say—but not everything is beneficial. “I have the right to do anything”—but not everything is constructive. No one should seek their own good, but the good of others.”
It is crazy to think of all the things we can make idols out of.  Working out, beauty, blogging, facebook, body image, food, money, a job, an opportunity, keeping up with the Jones'...
Lately, I have thought a lot about the legacy that I'm leaving behind.  I, like most moms today, am so busy taking care of my home, trying to support my husband and raise our kids, and many of us also working to help meet financial needs as well.  And that busyness can get very much in the way of what truly matters. Will our children remember us by our deep, growing passion for God, or will we be remembered for things that don’t matter? If I have the right to do something, is it really beneficial and constructive?  What am I doing that is making a difference.  What will my children remember the most about their years at home with me?
Are my efforts for today, or are my efforts for eternity?
I have the freedom to choose God first. 
And I have the freedom not to.
 
Being in His Word, giving Him the best of me, and spending time with Him each day is a true blessing, and a gift each day. 
Why is it so easy to forget this? 


post signature

2 comments:

The Sieberts said...

thanks for this Amanda! i've been struggling with the exact same thing lately-thanks for encouraging me :) hope you enjoyed your coffee this morning!

MDflaming said...

Oh my goodness! Your last two posts especially have hit home for me. Thank you for being so open and honest...I can relate on SO many levels! I also added a few of your book recommendations to my amazon wishlist. I love reading your blog...you are such an encouragement!