Being a mother...
to these two precious kiddos....
I have no idea how this picture actually turned out.
I'm sure it's one of those once in a many many years kind of picture.
I guess I just caught them BOTH in a good mood, at the perfect time.
I normally have to BEG for them to smile, and usually that is NEVER together.
I usually have to ask them to do it again and again, trying to get one good one.
But this happened on the first try - in the parking lot of Applebees, taken with my phone.
I'm sure it helped that they were extremely excited to be carrying home balloons.
Or maybe they were just excited about their evening alone with Mom (Dave is out of town for a bachelor party until the morning).
I normally have to BEG for them to smile, and usually that is NEVER together.
I usually have to ask them to do it again and again, trying to get one good one.
But this happened on the first try - in the parking lot of Applebees, taken with my phone.
I'm sure it helped that they were extremely excited to be carrying home balloons.
Or maybe they were just excited about their evening alone with Mom (Dave is out of town for a bachelor party until the morning).
And the very instant I looked down at my phone and saw what I had just captured - my eyes filled with tears.
These 2 precious, precious kids are actually mine.
God entrusted ME to be their mother.
He is allowing me to experience some of the greatest joy that can be experienced on this earth.
He forgives me when I mess up.
They forgive me when I mess up.
He gives me another chance over and over again.
And so do they.
Although this job is FULL OF JOY - it is definitely the hardest job I've ever had.
There are days I just get down and think that I am far from a great mom.
That my life is just not all that worthy.
I was reminded today, at a women's conference I attended with Dave's mom and sister,
About how to live a worthy life.
And today I am thinking mostly about how I can live a worthy life as a mother.
I was reminded that when my mind wanders to those thoughts that get me down...
I need to return to this verse..
"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Phillipians 4:8
And then once I get my thoughts turned around...
I need to stand firm on this verse...
"To this end I labor, struggling with all his energy, which so powerfully works in me."
Colossians 1:29
I am reminded that I do not have to do this alone.
When I look at myself and wonder how on earth I can be the mom that Taylor and Mason deserve,
when I know that I naturally lack patience
that I am quick to anger when I shouldn't be
when I speak harshly
when I am selfish
when I have so many sinful things about myself to deal with...
and wonder how on earth I can be that gentle, humble, compassionate and loving mother that I know they need, and that I am called to be - ALL the time, not just when it's easy for me.
I am reminded that just like MANY things in my life,
I am not required to do these things on my own.
As a Child of God, He promises me that HIS energy will POWERFULLY work in me.
Not my energy - thank goodness.
But His.
That gives me a hope that allows me to know that I CAN do this.
I can be the BEST mom that I could ever even dream of...
because of the ONE who's energy is at work in me,
because of the ONE who is molding me and making me into what HE wants me to be.
And THAT is exactly what my kids deserve.
Happy Mother's Day to all of you moms!
May you feel like the BEST mom in the world today because of God's energy working in you.

1 comment:
Thank you for posting this! I know that these words are wonderful things that God has spoken to you, but they hit me right where I am today. Thank you again for sharing, and have a wonderful Mother's Day!
Suzanne
Post a Comment