Saturday, September 1, 2012

one boy and one girl

I just have to get some of the most recent memories of these two recorded.  They are too precious.
And too funny.  And quite dramatic for a 3 and 4 year old.
 
Mason and Lily are kind of attached.  One of them may be a little more attached than the other.  Or at least more vocal about it.
 
 
 I really am thankful for their bond.
And that there's a little walkway through our fence to get from one house to the other.
 
You see, this little guy doesn't know how to play on his own.  And having a big sister at school means he just doesn't know what to do with himself.
I am challenged every day to make sure to stop cleaning the kitchen, stop trying to get laundry in, or check emails or even feed myself or the baby (well, if he had it HIS way, I would never eat, nor would Gavin), and just give him my undivided attention.  I will be honest and say it is HARD.  My mind goes in a million other directions.  I'm so used to getting kids up and spending some time with them at breakfast, and then they were always off as fast as they could to play all morning.
So it's definitely been a transition as I try hard to remind myself that I WILL miss this.  And in no time at all, he's going to be off at school just like Taylor.  And I will be sad.
 
 
We usually get home from the bus stop after dropping Taylor off, a little before 8.  I try my hardest to keep him from running to Lily's house till 9.  He asks about 25 times from 8 till 9 if it's 9:00 yet.
 
 
They are hilarious to watch and listen to.
They go from house to house, room to room, driveway to driveway, garage to garage.
They have the cutest conversations, and they eat their cookies in the most unusual way.
 
 
 I'm told that Lily professes her love for Mason nearly every day.
And her life is nearly over if he decides he's had enough "girl" time and wants to come home.
In fact, today Mason came inside and tried to lock her outside. I explained that this was not something we do to friends, and that we need to make sure they always feel welcome.  He proceeded to tell me that he just wanted a little break, but Lily wanted to follow him everywhere he went.
I helped him explain to Lily that he'd like to take a little break and then he'd be ready to play again in a few minutes. 
She asked if she could take a break with him, and then proceeded to sit on the back steps and stare into the window waiting for him to be done with his break.
It was seriously the CUTEST thing ever.  And I wish I had thought to grab my camera.
 
 
They share snacks, Mason helps her get drinks, they are in Sunday School together, they like to watch a little TV when they get tired from playing, they swing and build sand castles and ride bikes.
Sometimes they scream at each other, but they always give lots of hugs.
Sometimes they hit each other, but then other times I hear Mason saying "you can sit right by me on the couch."
 
 
Their bond is a special one.  We've been able to use this friendship as a way to teach Mason how to take care of girls, how to respect them and make sure they don't ever get hurt.  How to help them and be polite.  Although I'm afraid that sometimes Lily gets treated more like another rough and tough boy, there are at least a few glimpses of absolute preciousness between these two.


2 comments:

Allen and Debby Graber said...

What a sweet friendship!!

Rich and Carolyn Dewey said...

Very sweet! Love it! Your families have THE BEST neighborhood "set-up". You are building memories to last a lifetime!