Wednesday, June 30, 2010

colorado adventure part 1 - the hike

Our Community Life Group left last Thursday for our summer trip - a 10 hour drive to Colorado.
We were headed to Grandby, Colorado - near Grand Lake and Winter Park (I think?)
14 adults in 2 vans.
The trip up was girls in one van, guys in another.
One van watched movies most of the way - I bet you can guess which.
The girls van was quite lively...stories, music, junk food and carrots, catch phrase, the "things" game
10 hours didn't seem near as bad on the up as it did on the way home.
We arrived at Matt's grandparents' cabin late that night.
The next morning we headed out for hiking.



We had a hard time keeping up because my husband liked to stop and do things like this...
(he's sipping water from the little waterfall in case you can't tell)





We stopped and debated whether to keep going.  
Some decided they wanted to go further to see the falls.
Others turned back.
I was in the group that turned back, strongly influenced by my non-hiker husband.
We took a different route back and ended up coming across some great spots.



My legs were jello by the end. I think we hiked approx. 8 miles.
But Laurel and Justin decided to sprint it out to the end.
Crazy people.

Then on our way back to the cabin....
A 16 year old girl driving a big Dodge Ram truck wasn't paying attention and didn't see us stopping in front of her.  She never even hit the brakes, and pushed our van about 30 ft. forward almost into the first van- we're pretty sure she looked up from whatever she was doing and there we were.  Shannon, Kendall and I were in that back seat - and it was quite possibly one of the scariest things I've ever experienced.  Like a bomb went off behind us and glass went everywhere.
We are praising God for his protection as we all went away with nothing more than some sore necks.
The van ended up being totaled.  We were stranded in CO - 14 people and only a vehicle for 7.
After hours on the phone with insurance, rental companies and auto body shops - while the rest of us sat in shock - we had a plan.
Laurel's brother drove all the way to bring us another vehicle and we bought him a 1-way ticket home.
We had the 2nd vehicle by the next day at noon.

The rest of our trip coming soon.

9 comments:

kbaitinger said...

Looks like fun-except the wreck! Glad everyone is ok!

Rachel said...

I'm so glad you could put the picture up of us playing catch phrase. I look so lovely!

Amy said...

That could have so easily have gone a different way. So glad God was watching out for you all.

The Sieberts said...

so glad you guys were safe!

laura mcpherson said...

Oh my gosh...that looks so beautiful! This is getting me REALLY exciting. Our family is going to Grand Lake, CO for the first time in July :)

Your posts always: get me inspired, make me cry, make me get all nostalgic, etc...we're so similar!

So thankful that everyone was okay in the wreck. That is scary!

Allen and Debby Graber said...

Pretty handy to have Bill Good along on that trip, huh? Did he give you all treatments on your neck? Sooooo glad you weren't injured. Wow.

Kara Janzen said...

I don't think we've ever met but I found your blog through other friends' blogs. I've enjoyed reading about you as a stay at home mom. This post was fun for me to read but I was also a little jealous. My first bible study at K-state was led by Olivia and Julie and my senior year I led a bible study and Rachel was in it. Seeing your life group go to Colorado really made me wish I was still in a bible study with those girls. I enjoyed reading about your trip and can't wait to read more.

Diana said...

Wow, praise God you guys were all okay!

Other than that, awesome photos of CO and your trip! What a fun way to fellowship with friends at church, huh! :)

meg duerksen said...

that is awful!!
what an adventure...you'll never forget that trip!