Saturday, June 19, 2010

taking the kids down memory lane - part 2

Here are the rest of the pictures from our trip to Independence. 
We started at my grandparent's house...

Inside those walls you'll find things just as they left them pretty much.
Some stuff has began to be packed up.
Walking around and looking at things brings back lots of memories.

This is a HUGE memory...

This little TV is sitting on the counter in the bathroom.  My favorite thing to do was to lay in the bathtub and watch TV. I felt SO big and cool when I did that.
I remember watching Alf and Family Matters a lot on it. 
If only it still worked - I would beg to take it home with me.

Then we headed to the park.
The one that my sister and I begged Grandpa to take us to, every time we were visiting.
Lots of fun memories here...LOTS!

I am amazed at how the park has stayed the same.  It's so different than parks I am used to now with my kids.
This park seems so old school and unique. 


I guess the more current parks/playgrounds are probably much safer, but I'm glad this one has stayed virtually the same as it's ever been.
For example, this slide about sent me to my grave.  Taylor did great.
Mason started sticking and flipping half way down and I was just sure he was going to fly over the edge.
Some of this is obviously for bigger kids - but how in the world can you tell them they CAN'T!

For me, this slide is the signature of this park.
We didn't so much beg my grandpa to take us to the park, but more we begged to go to the "twisty slide".

I wondered if this would be gone.  But it was the first thing I spotted as we pulled up.


After our little scare on the previous slide, we decided not to let them try these others slides - only the twisty one. Bummer.  The others are HIGH and SO steep.

Then there's this interesting one.
She wasn't so sure about it.

But Dad gave it a try.

There was only one thing missing.
If you look smack dab in the middle of this picture, there used to be a big wooden "hamster wheel"
I missed it.
Grandpa would get in with us and use his strength to make it go and we'd have fun trying to keep up or falling and flipping all over the place sometimes.
After playing in this main park area - we headed towards the zoo.
On the way, we made a stop to play on this...
My sister and I climbed all over this thing - inside, outside, on top, all around.
It's a pretty cool zoo for being free!
I remembered monkey island having WAY more monkeys than there are now, but there were still a few.

Always straggling behind...looking for you know what.

You can take this little walking trail down to the bears.

and then this path takes you to one of our other favorite spots in the park...
KIDDY LAND!!!
Much more toddler friendly.






You all know how much we love skunks at our house, don't you?


And that's the end.
Our day trip to my grandparents' hometown.
Sharing some of my best memories with my own kiddos.

You really should plan a day trip with your family, it's only about 2 -2 1/2 hours, if you're local of course.
With the park, zoo, pool and mini golf all right there - you'd have a blast, I promise!
Everything's free or virtually free other than the pool.

4 comments:

The Sieberts said...

we had a tornado slide growing up too. WAY FUN!

Amy said...

What great memories! That park does look like so much fun! My favorite is the picture of Mason getting a drink. Love it! :)

laura mcpherson said...

Ah, yes...Just as I remember it too! That is amazing. In a world where things are constantly changing and being built in the newest, biggest, fanciest ways possible, it's incredible that this little park has remained the same. I LOVE IT!

Monkey island was one of the things I remember the best. Glad you got a shot of that! I'm glad you got to share this with your kids!

Kendall Smith said...

Okay, yes, I'm just now reading this. But wow, those slides look SO dangerous!!! I'm surprised they're still around! But they do bring back memories of things at the park where I played growing up.