Friday, December 17, 2010

christmas program and counting down

Oh man, there is nothing more fun than seeing our kiddos stand on stage at church for a whole 3 minutes, to sing a song or two and a do a finger play and then walk off.

Mason got to perform during 2 services. He didn't do much, other than hold his Baby Jesus and look cute. 
But that's all it takes for Mommy and Daddy to be proud!  Even if he is picking his nose.
I can't help but look at this cute little group of 2 year olds and know someone is missing. I just know sweet Cora would be stealing the show!


It was fun to see Taylor actually do some motions this year - last year she just stood there.


Taylor has been LOVING the countdown we are doing to Jesus's Birthday!  Each morning she moves the marker on this. 

And then gets out her free Oriental Trading calendar (thanks Rachel) and finds today's date there too - and puts some kind of mark on it.

They keep asking "Is it getting closer???"
Just to hear and feel that anticipation, I have realized how important our jobs are to make that anticipation be about the birth of our Savior - and not as much anticipation over Santa and opening up a mountain of presents.

 I keep thinking about how much anticipation we have at our house as we approach either of the kids' birthdays. 
We talk about it for weeks. 
We count down the days. 
We talk about decorations and what kind of cake and who will be there to celebrate.
When the day arrives there is so much excitment in the air.
You can look around our house and KNOW that there is a big celebration about to begin.
It's all about the birthday boy or girl.
We show them extra special love that day.
We shower them with gifts and attention.
Because that's what birthdays are for.

My prayer for our family is that we can truly celebrate a BIRTHDAY.
I want to talk about it for weeks, and count down the days.
I want our decorations to represent the fact that we are celebrating the birth of Jesus
and to signify that a big celebration is about to begin.
I want it to be ALL about our Savior.
A time to give extra attention and love to the One who came on that Christmas night.
I want the gifts to remind us that we give to others because God gave.
 And not just gifts that come wrapped with a bow, but also ourselves - whether through our time or service, or talents.
Because that's what THIS birthday is for.

Wishing you all a blessed holiday season, and praying that you can keep the focus on that little baby who was born in a stable to fulfill God's plan of hope for each of us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what a sweet and heartfelt post.