Monday, January 3, 2011

my verse for the year

Hope you didn't think the above list is mine.  I just found that picture. Although a few of those would be good for me.  I'm not really into New Year's resolutions, and really, I hear about more people who aren't, than who are.  I also heard today that only 12% of people keep their New Year's resolutions (or maybe it was 24% - either way, not good). But if I did make resolutions, here are some things that I COULD and maybe SHOULD be putting on my list...
  • don't love Pepsi so much
  • actually show up to Butz and Gutz class now that I've had a few months off
  • go to bed earlier
  • make our bed at least once a week
  • figure out a better system for laundry and stay caught up better
  • be a better listener
  • be less selfish (this is a problem God is REALLY revealing to me lately)
  • some serious fine tuning in the wife department
  • be in THE WORD more - this is obviously the biggest one and the one I am really focusing on most.
I'm always a reflector and analyzer.  But this time of year even more so.  At the end and beginning of a year, I think a lot about my successes and failures for the year and what I HOPE to do in the new year. Guess that's what the transition to a new year does to lots of us. There are a few things that my mind keeps going back too, but still trying to process and work a plan for how I can really commit to these this year.  Maybe I'll be able to share some of those later. 

But what I really want to focus on is what God wants me to focus on. Because if you leave it up to me, I'm more apt to focus on the wrong things. Or on too many things and realistically not be able to do it all, and then feel like a failure.  I'm trying desperately to truly hear God right now.  To hear how He wants to work in me right now. And not just focus on what I think needs work.

I know 2011 holds big things for us. We may move from the home we have raised our kids in since birth. Or we may find ourselves staying put. Hopefully we'll get a new car. Our kids will turn 5 (eek!) and 3.  It will be the last year ever that I will have all my children at home with me every day. Dave and I will celebrate 6 years of marriage.

And I know the Lord has plans for us. I wish I knew what they were.  And more than likely they are NOT the same as our plans. So I want to be open to what God has for us. I want the desires of my heart to reflect his desires. I want to hold loosely to the things of this world and tightly to the everlasting things.

So in place of a resolution, I am starting 2011 with a verse.  Premier Designs chooses a verse (hand-picked by Joan Horner who went to be with her Lord at the beginning of December) every year. And each January, when I attend our regional conference, Joan always shared her heart and the verse she chose for the year.  She shared Godly wisdom and gave us guidance for the way we should be living our lives, strengthening our relationship with God, our husbands, our children and anyone we do business with. And she reminds us of the verse throughout the year. Oh, how I will miss her talking to us this weekend at the conference.  I am anxiuosly awaiting to find out if she had chosen a verse for 2011 before she left this earth.  I have a feeling she did.  The verse she chose for 2010, the year she met Jesus, was Psalm 115:1...

"Not to us, O Lord, but to You goes all the glory for Your unfailing love and faithfulness." 

What a fitting verse for all that her life represented.
If you have a few minutes and want to be truly blessed by reading about someone's life - here are a few tributes to Joan - Tribute from friend  and The Dallas Morning News

So this encouraged me to pick a verse for me personally.
With hopes to stay committed and focused on this verse throughout the year.
I chose 2 Peter 1:5-8...

“…For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love.  For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ." 

I like this verse because I can focus on one trait at a time. I can focus on the little picture (each trait separately), but be reminded of the big picture as God promises how these qualities will benefit me.

I like this verse because it contains many of the things that God has been revealing to me that I need to work on. For me it's kind of a foundational verse for Godly living.  And I think that's right where God wants me right now.  Back to the basics - making sure that my foundation is deep and secure in Him.

Happy
it's here.

I'd love to hear what you are starting the new year off with - your list, a verse, resolution, goal, whatever...please share.

3 comments:

GB said...

Amanda,
I have been reciting/memorizing this quote since Ocotber, it is now my "life motto".

"Lord, I give up all my own plans and purposes, all my own desires and hopes, and accept Your will for my life. I give myself, my life, my all utterly to You to be Yours forever. Fill me and seal me with Your Holy Spirit. Use me as You want, send me where You want, work out Your whole will in my life at any cost, now and forever."

No surprise, I still struggle with memorizing it. It requires obedience, humility, and daily submission--all the things I struggle with. This statement was shared by Adam during on of his sermons. The original author was a woman missionary--I don't recall her name, sorry. Good luck and have a great new year! Sorry I don't see you much anymore, but I do follow your blog. GB

Doug and Sarah said...

Amanda,
I'll be posting my list later this evening. I loved your thoughts for the coming year! I'm often inspired by your writing on your blog.

GB,
What a great motto to live by! Thanks for sharing!

Toni :O) said...

Must lose this weight and MUST get my butt moving at 5:20 a.m. to exercise three to four times a week! I must, I must! There, I feel SO much better listing it somewhere! LOL! Happy New Year to your sweet family and I hope wherever it leads you, it's GREAT!