I'm going to attempt to tell this story without a picture and it just may not be as good as it is to me...but here goes. Dave was gone when this happened, so I had to attempt to tell it to him too! Luckily, he laughed hysterically and was able to picture all of it....so hopefully you can too!
Yesterday, Mason and I were in the basement.
The usual routine...he goes for the remote and my phone, which are sitting on the coffee table.
I say "no no"
He tried to run off with them.
I grab them, put them back and keep my eye on him.
He grabs them again.
After I get my phone back from him again, I say
"do you need to go to time out?"
Okay...you gotta know that I have NEVER said this to him before. Other than slapping his hand, talking sternly and giving him "that face"....I haven't really thought he is ready for any other discipline tactics. It was closer to 18 months (??) when we started time-out for Taylor. I know, I know, every kid is different. But I really could not imagine my 12 month old little boy sitting in time-out.
So when I said this to him....I really was not expecting ANY reaction. It just kind of came out.
I took my phone back and carried on with tax work on my computer.
Then I saw him walk towards the corner (the same corner Taylor sits in for time-out) He caught my attention, as I was wondering if my comment really had meant something to him. Then I noticed that Taylor's princess car was in that corner.....
so yeah, nevermind, he's just going for the car.
I then watched him move the car out of the corner and push it pretty far away.
He then turned around and walked back to the corner and sat down and just stared at me.
It wasn't a sad stare.
It was more of a PROUD stare, as if to say "I can sit in time-out too!"
At this point I am laughing out loud, wishing my camera was by me and attempting to capture it on my phone, so I can show Daddy when he got back.
Little Mason...sitting in time out!
He stood up and walked towards me. So, just to test him, I said
"you go back to time-out"
and he did.
I was thoroughly entertained. I wish I could have staged lots of naughty things for him to do, just to send him to time-out and see if he'd go. I know, I know, that sounds so mean....but it was the CUTEST thing EVER to see him just go and sit in the corner when I had no idea he even knew what time-out was.
I ended with the usual routine we have with Taylor.
"okay, come her and talk to Mommy"
He RAN!
He was SOOO proud! He looked so intently at me, those big blue eyes just waiting for me to talk to him. Usually these talks aren't fun...this is when we talk about what Taylor did wrong and she's asked to apologize, give hugs, etc. She DEFINITELY does not run to me and look eager to have this conversation. Oh, but little Mason was just so eager and so proud! I couldn't stop laughing.
So although he WENT to time-out, I'm taking that as a sign that he is not ready for it....as he sees it as something to be proud of instead of something to avoid.
But this is one of those things that makes you realize how much they are watching, listening and learning every day. He has watched Taylor get sent to the corner, he knew exactly what I said, and what I meant. These kids are amazing....the things those little brains can do!!
3 comments:
Proverbs 1:7 says that "fools despise wisdom and discipline" so maybe it is ok that he felt good about it! Ha!
Debby
I did a timeout for Collin too yesterday! I know we didn't start timeouts for Dylan until he was like 2 or something. Collin was hitting and he wouldn't stop, so I sat him down. He actually stayed for a whole minute, but he had a smile on his face the whole time. I know he thought it was funny too, instead of something to avoid.
We have officially started time-out with Braden but he goes into an empty pack-n-play and he does NOT like it! So far it seems to be working fairly well! It's so hard to believe that our little boys are in need of being disciplined!!
Post a Comment